Overview

The course will give you the opportunity to explore the role of language in shaping our social interactions.

We will focus on the structure of both written and spoken texts, analysing the ways writers and speakers use language to achieve their purposes. We will study a range of texts including adverts, political speeches, newspapers, scripts and courtroom language.

You will deepen this knowledge by further study, considering issues affecting language in use such as gender, accents and dialects and how children acquire language.

You will also get the chance to discover how the English language has developed over time and how the invention of new words shows that language continues to evolve – who would have thought that the verb ‘to twerk’ would make it into the Oxford English Dictionary?!

There are four components to the Advanced Level course, three of which are examined, and go to make up 80% of the final qualification. You will also have the chance to investigate an area of Language and Identity which interests you in your second year for coursework, for the remaining 20% of your award.

Entry Requirements

General Entry Requirements:
A Level programmes require a minimum of 2 GCSEs at grade 6 and 3 GCSEs at grade 5.

Subject Specific Requirements:
English Language grade 5.

How will I be assessed?

We follow the Eduqas syllabus which is the English branch of the WJEC and work will be largely examination based.

There are four components to the English Language A Level; three of these are assessed by external written examinations.
The topics you will cover include:
• Analysis of Spoken Language of the Media
• Language Issues – Standard and Non-Standard English; Language and Power; Language and Situation; and Language Acquisition.
• Language Change Over Time

In the second year, you will undertake an investigation of a language topic relating to Language and Identity.

Where does it lead?

The English Language course will be useful, whatever you decide to do in the future. Whether you go on to higher education or a career, the skills you will have developed on the course, such as analytical skills, the ability to write for specific audiences and purposes, research and presentation skills, will prove invaluable.

Many of our students progress on to Higher Education to take a degree in English Language or Linguistics, or they combine English Language with other subjects, such as Media, History, Sociology and Law.

It can eventually lead to a career in Teaching, Speech Therapy,
Marketing, Public Relations, Events Management, the opportunities are endless!

Apply for this course